Wednesday 8 May 2013

Chinese Snack

I am having one of my 'funny times' where I am up during much of the night and have necessarily had lie-downs during the preceding day.

Usually, when I have to get up in the night, it is because of hunger: my insides operate on their own timetable these days. Hopefully this is just a passing phase and I shan't be like this for the rest of my life; but we shall see...

Anyway, for tonight I cooked half a pack of Chinese snacks/side items: that's two each of sesame prawn toasts, won tuns and mini spring rolls. As usual, I had these with some crispy veg-based tray salad and a generous (though not excessive) splash of sweet chilli sauce. I actually prefer the hot sauce, but it's not easy to find, and I do like the sweet variety almost as much.

The 'secret ingredient' tonight, though, was surprisingly simple: an ordinary tomato, cut into very small pieces. Each quarter of the (standard size) tomato was quartered, and then those sixteen pieces were each halved again. Thus I had 32 small pieces of tomato, each such piece just enough to have a bonus effect on each mouthful (four per won tun, four per mini spring roll, six per prawn toast), with four spare to intersperse as I went along.

It worked really well, and is something I recommend trying. Sometimes the simplest things can have a disproportionately beneficial effect...

2 comments:

  1. http://wwwjohn-m-ward.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/frankfurt-school-list-of-policies.html

    The above has disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have taken down all my politics-related posts, and a number of others as well.

    It was a hard decision, but I needed to cleanly break away from all of that, ready to head in a new direction.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome, with 'clean' language, though not anonymous attacks. Note that comment moderation is enabled, and anonymous comments have again been disallowed as the facility has been abused.